LeCroy Scholars Endowed Scholarship
The LeCroy Scholars Endowed Scholarship was established in 1988 by DCCCD Foundation Board Member Mike A. Myers to recognize the late Dr. R. Jan LeCroy, former Chancellor of the DCCCD from 1981 to 1988, for his exemplary leadership in education and in the community. Outstanding leadership and academics are two of the hallmarks of Dr. LeCroy’s tenure and are the main requirements of the LeCroy Scholars Program. Nancy LeCroy and Mike Myers are mentors to the LeCroy Scholars.
Eligible applicants include high school seniors who will graduate in the spring and students currently enrolled in any of the seven Dallas County Community Colleges. High School students selected as LeCroy Scholars will receive a scholarship for tuition and books for up to six consecutive semesters.
Selected community college students who maintain program requirements will receive a scholarship to cover tuition and books for the remaining semesters of eligibility (not to exceed six consecutive semesters).
• Must be a DCCCD student attending either Brookhaven College, Cedar Valley College, Eastfield College, El Centro College, Mountain View College, North Lake College or Richland College during the period of award.
• Scholarship is open to all students, however preference will be given to graduating high school seniors who are US citizens or DCCCD students who are US citizens so long as such preference does not significantly detract from the DCCCD’s nondiscriminatory policies.
• Must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or B average.
• Must exemplify outstanding leadership demonstrated by involvement in academic, church and /or community-based activities
• Must submit an unofficial high school diploma or college transcript
• Must submit a head shot photograph (Required to complete the application, but not a factor in the selection process)
• Must provide a name and email address for a letter of recommendation from a high school or college counselor or teacher
• Must answer the following supplemental questions as follows:
1. Why do you want to be a LeCroy Scholar? Describe why you want to be a LeCroy Scholar; include your leadership and academic qualifications and state why you are applying for this scholarship.
2. What are your career goals?
3. Provide 3 important leadership accomplishments.
4. Provide 3 honors that reflect outstanding academic achievement.
• Recipient must attend planned LeCroy Scholars events which are outlined in the scholarship acceptance form
• Recipient must successfully complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester
• Recipient will be assigned a mentor for the academic year
• Recipient must maintain a 3.0 GPA or better at the end of each semester
• Recipient must maintain the above requirements to receive the scholarship next semester. Failure to do so could result in a reduction or loss of scholarship benefits.
Once students have submitted their application the selection committee will select a group of finalists for a face-to-face interview before the recipients are chosen for the scholarship.