Thelma B. Ratcliff Memorial Scholarship
The Thelma B. Ratcliff Memorial Scholarship was established in 2009 by adjunct professor and federal agent, Vincent F. Ratcliff in honor of his mother, Thelma Ratcliff to benefit young students of the Oak Cliff community of Dallas County, Texas. Through her nursing career of more than 30 years, Thelma devoted herself to providing professional, considerate and loving medical care to her patients in need. This scholarship will continue Mrs. Ratcliff’s legacy of service by providing encouragement and financial support to assist students in reaching their immediate education goal of obtaining an Associate Degree in Health and Science related professions, including but not limited to, Nursing, Pre-med/Biology, Physical Therapy, Engineering, Radiology, Dentistry and Pharmacy. This scholarship also seeks to encourage students to work toward obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree in Health and Science related professions.
- Must be a DCCCD student attending either Brookhaven College, Cedar Valley College, Eastfield College, El Centro College, Mountain View College, North Lake College or Richland College.
- Must have a minimum DCCCD GPA of 2.7
- Must answer the following essay question in 250- 500 (maximum) words:
Please describe how your career goals will better equip you to serve the community.
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 credit hours for period of award
- Must be pursuing a degree in Health and Science related professions, including but not limited to, Nursing, Pre-Med Biology, Physical Therapy, Engineering, Radiology, Dentistry and Pharmacy
- Scholarship is open to all students, however, preference will be given to African-American students in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas County, TX so long as such preference does not significantly detract from DCCCD’s nondiscriminatory policies
- Must demonstrate exemplary character and behavior within the DCCCD community, as well as the DFW community