Joe Stanco Memorial Scholarship
The Joe Stanco Memorial Scholarship was established in 2003 in memory of long-time Richland College employee, Joe Stanco, by his friends at Richland College. Joe worked at Richland College since 1976, as a tutor and then as tutor supervisor in the Center for Independent Study (CIS). He also worked in the LRC and as an adjunct English instructor. In 1992 he became the director of the Richland Honors program and then in 1996 was hired as one of the two first administrators in the newly created Academic Enrichment division.
Joe was a good friend to all who needed him. He was a loving husband and father. He was a superb teacher, an inspired poet, and a genuinely nice guy. On June 5, 2002, we lost him to cancer.
We will miss all of the little things he did for all of us. He kept us grounded in what was truly important and allowed us to discard the trivial. He was our sounding board—if it sounded ok to him—then we probably weren’t too far wrong. He was our moral compass—always pointing to true north.
- Must be a DCCCD student
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.5
- Must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours for the period of the award
- Must be enrolled in a minimum 3 credit hour honors course at Richland College for the period of the award
- Must apply and be accepted into the Richland Honors Program prior to the period of the award
- Must provide name and email for Hedy Watkins HedyWatkins@dcccd.edu for verification of acceptance to the RLC Honors Program and enrollment in an approved Honors course.
- Must not have previously received this scholarship.
- May not be a Richland Collegiate High School Student
- Must answer the supplemental questions –
What are your academic and career goals?
What activities are you currently involved in?
What else would you like to tell us about yourself?